League of Legends (LoL) is a hugely popular game with a massive player base. However, players may sometimes encounter issues like “League of Legends not opening on Mac.” This problem can manifest in various forms such as the League of Legends client not opening, League of Legends launcher not opening, or even the League of Legends installer not opening.
Resolving these launch problems is crucial for Mac gamers who want to enjoy League of Legends smoothly and seamlessly. The good news is that with the right troubleshooting steps, these issues can often be easily fixed. This article will cover the most common causes of League of Legends failing to open on Mac, and provide effective solutions to get the game running again.
Common Causes of League of Legends Not Opening on Mac
There are a few key reasons why League of Legends may fail to launch properly on Mac systems:
- Outdated game files or client: If the League of Legends game files or client are outdated, it can prevent the game from opening and running. This is often the case when the “League of Legends patcher not opening” issue occurs.
- Compatibility issues: The game may not be fully compatible with the current macOS version installed on the system. This can lead to problems like “League of Legends OS X not opening,” “League of Legends Big Sur not opening,” or “League of Legends Monterey not opening.”
- Corrupted files: Game file corruption is a common cause of launch failures. This can result in the “League of Legends game files not opening” issue.
- Network problems: League of Legends requires an internet connection. Connectivity issues can lead to launch problems.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before diving into more advanced troubleshooting, try these basic steps first:
- Check internet connection: Make sure your network connection is stable and League of Legends servers are accessible.
- Verify server status: Check the LoL server status page for any ongoing issues or outages.
- Restart computer: Fully restarting your Mac can clear up any temporary glitches.
- Update the game: If outdated, download the latest League of Legends game client and patches.
Advanced Troubleshooting Methods
If you still can’t get League of Legends to open after basic troubleshooting, try these advanced methods:
Fix 1: Delete “lock file”
Sometimes, a “lock file” in the League of Legends folder on your Mac might be causing the issue. This file can prevent the game from launching properly. Here’s how to delete it:
1. Open Finder and navigate to Macintosh HD > Users > [Your Username] > Library > Application Support > League of Legends
2. Locate the “lockfile” in this folder and move it to the trash.
3. Empty your Trash to permanently delete the file.
4. Restart your Mac and try launching League of Legends.
Fix 2: Close RiotMacContainer process
The “RiotMacContainer” process is a background task that runs when League of Legends is open. If it’s running when the game isn’t open, it could be causing issues. Here’s how to close it:
1. Open the Activity Monitor on your Mac. You can find this in the Utilities folder within Applications.
2. In the list of processes, look for “RiotMacContainer.”
3. If you find it, click on it to select it, then click the “X” button in the top-left corner of the Activity Monitor window.
4. Confirm that you want to quit the process.
5. Try launching League of Legends again.
Fix 3: Reinstall the game
If the League of Legends installer is not opening or the game files are corrupted, reinstalling the game can often fix this. Here’s how:
1. Drag the League of Legends application from your Applications folder to the Trash.
2. Empty your Trash to permanently delete the game.
3. Go to the official League of Legends website and download a fresh copy of the game.
4. Install the game following the provided instructions.
5. Try launching League of Legends again.
Fix 4: Edit configuration files
Sometimes, adjusting settings in game configuration files can resolve issues. For example, the “user.cfg” file contains user settings that can affect game performance. Here’s how to edit it:
1. Open Finder and navigate to the League of Legends folder on your Mac.
2. Look for a file named “user.cfg.”
3. Open the file with a text editor like TextEdit.
4. Make any necessary changes based on online recommendations. Be careful not to change anything you’re unsure about.
5. Save and close the file.
6. Try launching League of Legends again.
Checking macOS Version Compatibility
It’s important to verify that League of Legends is fully compatible with the macOS version installed on your Mac:
- Check the Riot Games website for macOS requirements.
- If needed, update your macOS to meet the minimum version for League of Legends.
- Big Sur 11.2 or later is recommended. Updating can resolve compatibility problems.
Fixing Common League of Legends Error Messages on Mac
Here are some tips for fixing common error messages when trying to open League of Legends on Mac:
- “The application cannot be opened” – Delete the lock file and reinstall the game.
- “Client not booting up” – Force quit the client and relaunch as administrator.
- “Won’t open on Mac” – Check for macOS compatibility issues and update if required.
Using Third-Party Tools and Software
Some third-party applications can help diagnose and resolve League of Legends launch problems on Mac:
- BoostMac – Utility to clean, optimize, and repair game files.
- CleanMyMac – Removes clutter and makes space for optimal performance.
However, use caution as some tools may violate Riot Games’ terms of service if used improperly. When in doubt, seek official support.
Getting Help from Riot Games Support
If the above troubleshooting steps don’t get League of Legends back up and running, reach out to Riot Games support:
- Submit a ticket to Riot Games support for one-on-one assistance.
- Post on the official League of Legends forums or subreddit for help from the community.
- Contact Riot Games support via Twitter or Facebook for a quick response.
Preventing Future League of Legends Launch Issues on Mac
To avoid further problems opening League of Legends on Mac in the future:
- Keep the game client updated as soon as new patches are available.
- Don’t install unsupported mods or make unauthorized game file edits.
- Clean install fresh copies of the game every few months.
- Use a anti-malware software to keep your system and game files clean.
In summary, getting League of Legends back up and running on Mac is very feasible using the troubleshooting fixes outlined in this guide. Start with basic steps like verifying server status and game files. For persistent issues, tackle potential compatibility problems and try advanced solutions like reinstalling the game client. Support from Riot Games is also available for tough cases. Follow these tips and you’ll be back on the Rift slaying minions and dueling champions in no time.