Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, we may earn a small commission on purchases made through them. All opinions remain our own. See our full disclosure policy.
Imagine having a movie night without a good sound system or playing top-notch games on your expensive PlayStation 4 without proper sound effects? Boring, right? This is how important having a good sound system is.
Having a home theater is not enough; you need to have the best surround sound system with it as well. A powerful surround system cannot only boost up the look of your house but can also add stars to your movie or game night.
Many people resist buying surround systems as they are usually expensive but investing one time in a good product is better than wasting your money on other alternatives. Having the best surround sound speakers can transform an ordinary flick into an auditory masterpiece and trust me, it’s not a lie.
If you have a big TV with great resolution but no proper audio system then you are only enjoying half experience. So, start looking for a perfect surround sound system to get the full experience.
Buying the best surround sound for your home theater can be challenging due to budget and other product specs but you do not need to worry about it anymore. If you are planning on buying a good surround sound system for your TV within $500 then you have come to the right place. This guide will help you choose the top-quality sound system with the best specs and at an affordable price.
You can find many surround systems in the market but not all of them will be perfect for your house. It is not always the money game; sometimes a sound knowledge of the product can help you purchase just the best option for you.
Here’s our list of the best surround sound systems that you can buy while staying under $500.
Before we dive into the details of each product, I suggest you check the buyer’s guide below to help you find the right surround system for your needs.
Things You Need To Consider Before Buying A Surround Sound System
The market is flooded with exceptional sound systems so telling which speaker to buy is not enough. You must be well-prepared when you go out to buy a sound system for your house. For this purpose, we have gathered some points that you must never forget to look for before buying the perfect home theater system for yourself.
Never Miss Out on the Receiver
Not all speakers will come with a receiver, so you need to check before buying if the sound system include one or not. If you don’t already have a speaker then this can cost you a few hundred dollars, therefore, it would be better if you set your budget accordingly. Even if you have one receiver at home, don’t forget to check its compatibility with the sound system you are buying. In short, if you can find a sound system that comes with a receiver will save you a lot of time and efforts.
The sound system must be according to space where you are willing to place it. Before you plan on buying a sound system, decide where you would like to place it in your house. Often people go for sound systems that are bigger than there space that can give your room a “clustered” look. Even if this is the case, compromising on the size of the speakers is not a good option. The larger the speakers, the better the sound quality you can get so try to find a place that is large enough to support large speakers. Even if you don’t have enough space at home, you can opt for compact systems to cater to your needs.
Channels are Essential
First, decide what you want. Do you want a surround or stereo sound or do you want simple audio speakers? If you want surround sound under $500 budget then you must go for 5.1 sound system that comes with a subwoofer and five speakers.
Design is Important
The sound system must go perfectly with your room décor. First, decide the location of the sound system so that it is easier for you to buy the perfect sound system for your room. Do your own research online regarding different sound systems and their designs and see if you find something that fits your room. Doing your own research before buying something is much better than heading straight to the shop without any hint of what to buy.
Best Surround Sound System Under $500 - Top 7 Picks
1. Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1 Best Overall
- Bluetooth for wireless music streaming with compressed music enhancer
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven): 100 W (8 ohms, 0.9 percentage THD)
- YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker set up
Yamaha YHT-4930UBL is one of the best sound systems under the range of $500. You can enjoy an outstanding stereo sound experience with its 5.1-channel system. This system is powered by an 8-inch 100-watt center channel and comes with four surround speakers.
Some of the best features that come with this are its receiver include Bluetooth connectivity, Ethernet, 4k Ultra HD, and Wi-Fi. You can easily connect your smartphones and tablets with this sound system and play your favorite music, videos, etc., without any hassle.
It has a stunning design that can go amazingly well with your room. In addition, this sound system further comes with Yamaha’s virtual cinema so that you don’t feel any problem when you are unable to fit all the speakers in your room. This sound system is a great deal for its price.
Key Features of Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1
- 5.1-Channel surround sound
- Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support
- YPAO sound optimization
- 4K video upscaling from HDMI input
- HD Audio format decoding
- Great Price
- Beautiful black gloss finish
- The receiver includes several DSP modes
- Free technical support available
- Better suited for medium/large rooms
2. Samsung HT-J5500W 5.1 Best Bang for Your Buck
- 5.1 Channel 1000-Watt 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System
- Dolby Digital, DTS Digital Surround
- Input: 1 USB, 1 HDMI Out, 1 Digital Audio (Optical) and disc capacity is 1
Samsung does not need any introduction and their sound system is definitely the one you cannot miss out. Powered by 5.1-channel surround system, Samsung HT-J5500W comes with 1,000-watt speakers. Yes, you heard it right, 1000 watt speakers that can pump up any party.
You can decorate your living room with this wonderful sound system that comes with one center speaker, one primary subwoofer, two front speakers and two satellite speakers. It comes with Blu-ray instead of receiver that allows you to connect to the smart TV options. You can easily watch multiple movies, play games and much more by just tuning into a smart TV.
This sound system has an HDMI cable that directly connects to your TV so you can enjoy watching TV with stunning sound quality. It further comes with Bluetooth control to power it, 3D capability and upscaling non-HD DVDs. This sound system by Samsung is offering great value to its users in an affordable price range.
Key Features of Samsung HT-J5500W 5.1
- Powerful 1000-watt peak power
- Blu-ray with Wi-Fi Built in
- Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Screen-mirroring with Miracast-compatible smart devices
- Remote control
- Wireless Rear Speakers
- TrueHD and upscaling
- Smart features
- Varied connectivity
- Exceptional value for money
- Front speaker limitation
- Low bass
3. Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 Best for Audiophiles
- Contains SP-BS22 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair), SP-FS52 Floor-standing Speakers (Pair), & SP-C22 Center-Channel Speaker (single) - subwoofer not included
- SP-FS52 Floor-standing Speakers (Pair): Features three 5.25" structured surface woofers, 1" high efficiency soft dome tweeter, & 8-component...
- SP-FS52 Floor-standing Speakers (Pair): Full-size tower speakers, measuring 35.2 inches tall; the woofer's bass output is augmented with two ports on...
Pioneer SP-PK52FS comes with one center channel speaker, two bookshelf loudspeakers and two floor-standing loudspeakers for action from all directions. This sound system is the best for audio streaming, gaming, movies and much more due to its 5.1-channel.
The design of the speakers is also of top-notch quality and go amazingly well with bedroom or living room (you can always count on its design). Its receiver comes with some extraordinary features including Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Ultra HD 4k support, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth wireless connectivity. You can enjoy music to its fullest at any volume with these speakers.
The connectivity options enable you to easily connect your phones or tablets with the sound system and enjoy an unforgettable audio experience. This sound system is a great option to go for considering a fair price range. You can definitely trust Pioneer with their outstanding product quality.
Key Features of Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1
- Bookshelf, floor-standing placement
- Soft Dome driver technology
- All-metal connectors
- Crossover networks
- Speaker grilles
- Solid build and form factor
- Quality sound at a budget price
- Impressive bass extension
- Lacks premium feel
- Only available in black wood-grain vinyl finish
4. Logitech Z906 5.1 Best for Gaming
- 5.1 digital surround sound: Hear every detail in your Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks the way the studio intended. Sub woofer: 165 Watts.Waterproof...
- THX certified home theater speakers: Your assurance of true cinema quality sound. Satellites : 4 x 67 W, wall mountable
- Delivers a continuous 500 watts of power, with the ability to deliver a peak of 1,000 watts under certain circumstances: Provides rich audio and...
If you do not like compromising on the sound quality and want theatre-like audio quality at home then its time for you to move to Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound speakers. It is a 5.1 speaker system, which is undeniably amazing and also well-designed.
This surround system has a very appealing design, which is enough to make you want to switch it with your old sound system. It has THX Certification as well so that it can decode DTS encoded and Dolby Digital soundtracks to give to the best possible sound experience.
With its 1000 watts power system, you will be able to enjoy high-quality music with incredible bass delivery. This amazing sound system will let you hear every bit of music including all the small details as well. The audio quality of this sound system is one of its kind, which you will not get even in some of the most high-end speaker systems.
Apart from all this, you can also connect up to six devices with this speaker system. The remote control also comes with it so you can control the volume and other things with just a finger click. Don’t miss out on the best sound quality and purchase this speaker system today!
Key Features of Logitech Z906 5.1
- 1000-watt peak power
- Long-Throw 165 Watt Subwoofer
- Dolby Digital & DTS decoding
- 3 x digital audio inputs
- Stereo 3D, 4.1 & 2.1 modes
- Wireless Remote
- Powerful, distortion-free sound
- Excellent build quality
- Flexible setup
- Intuitive audio control
- No HD audio decoding
- Flimsy wiring
5. Polk T50 150 Watt Best on a Budget
- GET SUPERIOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE WITH IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND & HI-RES AUDIO. Featuring a 1" tweeter, a 6.5" Driver and (2) 6.5" Bass Radiators....
- AMPLIFY YOUR MOVIE, MUSIC AND GAMING EXPERIENCE with this T-series speaker that not only sounds brilliant but also heightens your audio experience....
- CREATE A FULL-FLEDGED 5.1 HOME THEATER SETUP with the complete range of T-series speakers from Polk with two T50 Tower Speakers, one T30 Center...
It is one of the best sound systems that you can buy in your low budget. The features, sound, and design of this system are so appealing that you would not want to miss out on buying this speaker system.
For starters, the Polk T50 150 Watt home theatre system is a large sound system, which gives you the best sound quality. Apart from it, it comes with full-size towers that house in its stereo imaging, superior detailing, dynamic range, and amazing bass power. So, if you want to get the best sound experience then there is nothing better than Polk T50 150 speaker system.
These speakers also do not take much space so you can fit them anywhere in your house. The Polk aimed to produce a system as good as Pioneer SP-FS52, which is why you might see a lot of resemblance between these two sound systems.
Look nowhere when you have finally decided to purchase a sound system for your house and opt for this one. You can easily get this speaker system at a good price so enjoy the good experience until it lasts.
Key Features of Polk T50 150
- Bookshelf, floor-standing placement
- Built with Polk’s proprietary Dynamic Balance technology
- Silk dome tweeter
- Acoustically-inert, furniture-grade MDF cabinet construction
- 100 Watts per Channel
- Clear Highs
- Aesthetically appealing
- Easy installation
- Low price
- Bass is less impressive
- Not suitable for larger rooms
6. Monoprice 10565 5.1 Most Compact
- While superb sound quality is the ultimate goal of any home audio system, the realities of budget and even aesthetics often force compromises in sound...
- Now you can have it all - great sound, great looks, small size, and an unbelievably low price
- Well, the time for compromise is over
When you will look at these speakers, you might not want to buy it but when you will hear its audio, you will not be able to stop yourself from buying it. That’s why never go on the looks.
This 5.1 channel sound system is a serious deal at such a great price. It comes with a center channel, four two-way satellite speakers and a subwoofer. You can quickly connect these speakers with the television, thanks to the easy plug-and-play inputs and outputs.
The sound system comes in a matte black finish that might interest many black color-lovers. The bass of this sound system is so amazing that your entire living room will dance on the beat of it. You can fix the satellite speakers on the wall to spare some space and get the best surround-sound experience.
Some negative points of this sound system are that it does not come with any Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity and you will need to buy a separate receiver for it.
Key Features of Monoprice 10565 5.1
- Built with 4 big rubber feet to minimize floor vibrations
- Subwoofer has a phase control switch
- ¾-inch dome tweeter
- Spring loaded speaker terminals
- Powered by 100-watt center channel
- Easy to install
- Impressive sound
- Small, lightweight package
- Universal mounting options
- Subwoofer can’t handle high volume
- One-year warranty is rather shorter
7. Fluance SXHTBW 5.1 Best Design
- Expertly timbre matched 5 speaker system that will surround you with every brilliant nuance from the greatest soundtracks that define your life
- Premium 1" neodymium balanced silk dome tweeters, ferrofluid cooled for vibrant high-frequency response; 4" poly-coated midrange drivers with butyl...
- Powerful dual 6.5" woofers produce high definition sound and optimal low frequency response (fronts)
If you do not want to buy typical black speakers then Fluance SXHTBW is the best option for you. This sound system has an eye-catching design that is far better than traditional speaker designs.
The extremely appealing walnut design of this sound system is just one bounty point from a list of many. It has powerful 6.5-inch woofers, one-inch neodymium silk dome tweeters, and four-inch poly-coated midrange drivers.
These speakers come with DTS and Dolby systems to offer exceptional sound quality at every volume. It is impossible to get such outstanding lows, thrilling bass, amazing high notes, and whatnot at such a special price.
This sound system will perk up the entire look of your living system and will make your movie nights extra special. Do not miss this opportunity and purchase this amazing sound system at this affordable price.
Key Features of Fluance SXHTBW
- Five-speaker system
- Powerful dual 6.5-inch woofers
- Neodymium balanced silk dome tweeters
- Audio-grade MDF wood contruction
- Premium design
- Packaged nicely in a single box
- Lifetime warranty
- The center channel is weak
#Bonus Pick: Onkyo SKS-HT870 Best 7.1-Channel System
- 7.1-channel home theater speaker set
- Highlighted by pair of floor-standing tallboy front speakers for visual and aural impact. Auto standby/on
- 130 watts total output on dual-drive front and center speakers and full-range surround speakers
The best thing about Onkyo is that it offers the best sound experience along with a stunning speaker system. If we talk about the design then there is nothing that we would not want to mention. The Onkyo SKS-HT870 comes with a pair of tower speakers, a center channel speaker, a powered subwoofer and a channel speaker.
These speakers come at an amazing value, which is the number one reason why you would want to opt for this speaker system. The full-sized tower speakers of this amazing surround system are the main attraction that comes within this budget.
On the other hand, the surround speakers might not look that well with the tower speakers. The finish of the surround speakers is not as good as the tower speakers, hence, you might have to compromise at one point.
Since it is a 7.1 channel speaker/subwoofer system so fitting it in your bedroom might make your room look clustered. Make sure you have enough space in the room you are planning to place it in so that it can comfortably fit with all the room décor.
Key Features of Onkyo SKS-HT870
- Complete 7.1-Channel Speaker System
- 290W 10″ Powered Subwoofer
- 6 ohms Impedance
- 130W Front/Center Speakers
- 3 1/4″ Dual Woofers
- Elegant black finish
- Easy connection and set up
- Incredible value for money
- Relatively large speakers
- Boxy design
Hopefully, this article will guide you the best when you are out there shopping for the perfect surround sound system for your home theater. The list will help you to narrow down your options so you can save your time. Enjoy shopping!
Last update on 2020-12-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API