Are you facing the infamous Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) stuttering? We understand how frustrating it can be. Especially when your game stutters or it skips frames at that crucial moment that breaks the entire match.
But don’t worry, the problem is fixable. In this tutorial, we will help you solve these stuttering and lag issues in your computer so that you are able to play the game to its fullest.
How to fix CS:GO stuttering and reduce lags
Your game can lag or stutter for several reasons, such as incompatible hardware, corrupt graphics drivers, software conflicts, and more. It’s hard to determine the root cause of the problem, but you can always try solving it to find the answers.
Here are a few easy-to-apply methods that you can try to get rid of these CSGO performance issues:
- Install the latest patch
- Reboot your network
- Update your graphics card driver
- Close unnecessary programs
- Lower the graphics settings on your game
- Raise the priority of your game
- Disable CPU Core Parking
- Change the power plan of your PC
Fix 1 – Install the latest patch
Game developers keep on releasing patches to improve the performance of the game and fix bugs within time. It’s possible that the version of your CS:GO is not up-to-date that is causing trouble during playing.
So if your game keeps on stuttering, you should check for updates of your game in Steam or from the official website. If available, install the latest patch and run your game to see if solves the problem.
Fix 2 – Reboot your network
If there’s something wrong with your network, then you’re likely to experience high ping and game lag issues. In most cases, rebooting your network will solve the problem for you. To reboot your network:
1) Unplug your wireless router from power for at least 60 seconds.
2) Plug in the router again and wait for some time to be it fully operational.
Now launch CS:GO again to see if it works properly. If your game still lags after you reboot your network, continue to the next fix.
Fix 3 – Update your graphics card driver
A missing or outdated graphics card driver in your computer can trigger the CSGO stuttering issue. So you should make sure that your GPU driver is up-to-date, and if it’s not then update it.
To update your graphics driver, go to your manufacturer’s website (Nvidia, AMD, or Intel) and download and install the latest driver version for your GPU. Don’t forget to check if the driver is compatible with your variant of Windows system.
Once the driver is installed, restart your computer to take effect. This should help reduce the stuttering or lag issues with your game.
Fix 4 – Close unnecessary programs
Running multiple programs in the background while gaming could cause your PC to overload, resulting in the stuttering issue. So you should check and make sure to limit all the applications and downloads before playing your game.
To turn off a program, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager. On the Processes tab, check your current CPU and memory usage to see what processes are consuming your resources most. Then right-click the resource consuming process and select End task.
Be cautious with this step. If you mistakenly end any processes that are essential for running Windows, your computer may fail to work properly.
Once done, play CS:GO again to see if it is running smoothly.
Fix 5 – Lower the graphics settings on your game
You can lower the video settings in your CS:GO to see if it helps reduce the lags and high FPS stutter issue. Here’s how to do it:
1) Open Settings in CS:GO.
2 Go to Options > Video Settings.
3 In the ADVANCED VIDEO OPTIONS section, set the following settings to LOW:
- Global Shadow Quality
- Model / Texture Detail
- Effect Detail
- Shader Detail
4) Save the changes and restart CS:GO to see if the problem goes away.
Fix 6 – Raise the priority of your game
Setting CS:GO to high priority, according to a few players, helped reduce lags to some extent. That’s because raising the priority of the game makes sure it get enough memory from your system so that it could run without issues.
1) Launch CS:GO and minimize it by pressing the Win+M keys.
2) Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc simultaneously to open the Task Manager.
3) Click the Details tab.
4) Right-click on your game, then hover over Set priority and click High.
5) Exit the game and launch it again from Steam to see whether you got rid of the lagging issue.
Fix 7 – Disable CPU Core Parking
Core Parking is a feature of Windows OS that dynamically scales the number of logical processors that are in use based on the workload. This helps improve the heat and power usage of your system.
However, Core Parking can sometimes limit the performance of your CPU when you’re playing CS:GO. So you might want to disable this feature. Here’s how to do it:
1) Press Win+R keys to open the Run dialog. Then type “msconfig” and press Enter.
2) In the pop-up window, click the Boot tab and click Advanced options…
3) Check the Number of processors box and choose a maximum number of processors. Then click OK to save your settings.
4) In the System Configuration window, click OK.
Now restart your computer and launch CS:GO to see if the problem has been resolved.
Fix 8 – Change the power plan of your PC
The CS:GO stuttering issue may be caused by the power plan of your PC.
Since most PCs are configured to Balanced, it could limit the operating capacity of your graphics card and CPU. Therefore, you should try changing the power plan of your PC as well as adjust your Windows system for the best performance.
Here’s how to do it:
1) Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog. Then type “powercfg.cpl” and press Enter.
2) In the pop-up window, expand Hide additional plans and select High performance.
3) Type “advanced” in the search box in the upper-right corner, then click View advanced system settings.
4) In the pop-up window, click on Settings… in the Performance section.
5) Select Adjust for best performance and click Apply > OK.
Run your game again to see if the issue persists.
There you have it – the eight effective ways to fix the CS:GO stuttering and lagging on PC. Hopefully, one of these methods worked for you too.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them in the comments below.