Fortnite is a popular Battle Royale game which has an in-game voice feature that allows you to talk to your friends while playing the game. Recently, there were some reports of issues related to the voice chat feature of Fortnite. Gamers have complained that the voice chat is working perfectly in other apps and games but it is not working in Fortnite. If you’re facing the same problem, don’t worry because we have solved the issue in this post.
What causes the voice chat not to work in Fortnite?
If the Fortnite voice chat isn’t working, the first thing to do is to check your internet connection and make sure that the voice chat is working for other apps and games. If you have done that and still there is no voice, there might be a series of other reasons causing the voice chat feature not to work. Following are some of the causes:
- Fortnite introduces updates on a frequent basis and some of them are bad ones. These updates cause problems with the registries and cause the voice chat to stop working.
- If you’re using a controller for playing the game, the controller starts to control the audio. In this case, when a wrong mode is selected, the voice chat issue occurs.
- The issue with the Fortnite voice chat may also arise when the audio device isn’t selected properly.
Fortnite Voice Chat not working? Try these fixes
To fix the Fortnite voice chat not working problem, we have jotted down some fixes for you which are as follows:
- Log out of Fortnite and Log in again
- Install the latest Fornite patch
- Select proper audio device
- Update your sound card driver
- Make changes in the registry
- Select the right console mode
Fix #1: Log out of Fortnite and Log in again
This is the easiest and quickest fix and works mostly. If your voice chat isn’t working, just log out of the game and log in again to see whether it’s working or not. Though this looks like a common fix but it works for most of the users.
Fix #2: Install the latest Fornite patch
Fortnite developers introduce game patches on a regular basis to fix the bugs. It might be possible that a game patch has stopped your voice chat and the latest patch could fix it. If you play Fortnite using the Epic Games Launcher, try these steps for installation of the latest patch:
- Run the Epic Games Launcher.
- Click Library on the left panel, and on the right, click the gear button on the bottom right of Fortnite.
- Now turn on the toggle which is located next to Auto update.
- Restart the Epic Games Launcher. If there is a latest patch available, it will be detected automatically and installed when you’ll start Fortnite.
Fix #3: Select proper audio device
If you have selected the wrong audio device, the computer won’t be able to transmit the sound properly through the mic. This is because the computer has a variety of options to output the audio. Select the correct audio device in the following way:
- Run Fortnite and turn off Voice Chat and Push To Talk in the Audio settings. Click Apply then exit Fortnite.
- Next, press the Windows logo key and type in the search box “Control Panel” and open it.
- In Control Panel, select Large icons from the View by drop down menu in the top right corner.
- Click on Sound and choose the Recording tab.
- Right-click the audio device (microphone) you’re using and make sure it’s enabled. Then select to set it as default device.
- Save your changes, then exit.
Run Fortnite again and enable the Voice Chat and Push To Talk to check if it is working properly.
Fix #4: Update your sound card driver
An outdated or corrupted sound card driver can also cause the voice chat in Fortnite to stop working. Updating it to the latest version can make the game run smoother and fix the voice chat related issues too.
You can update the driver manually but if you don’t have time, you can try doing it automatically with Driver Easy or Driver Booster. Follow these steps to install a third party tool and update your driver:
- Download and install the driver tool.
- Run the tool and hit the Scan button. The tool will then scan your computer for any missing or outdated drivers.
- Now click the update option next to the sound card, which will automatically download the correct version of the driver.
Fix #5: Make changes in the registry
This fix has worked for many users and if your voice chat isn’t still working after trying the above fixes, you must try this one. Perform these steps for changing your registry keys:
- Press Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog, then type ‘regedit’ in the search box and press OK.
- In the registry address, navigate to this address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epic Games and HKEY_USERLONG-STRING-OF-CHARACTERS-REMOVED\Software\Epic Games
- After locating the directories, delete them one by one.
- Restart your computer and run Fortnite. Check if the voice chat is working.
Fix #6: Select the right console mode
If you use a console for playing Fortnite, you must need to select the right console mode so that various issues are resolved. Each controller will try to control the audio and hence the voice chat will crash. Follow these steps to fix the issue:
1. Run Fortnite and go to Settings.
2. Click the Controller tab and select these options:
- Configuration: Quick builder,
- Controller Platform: PlayStation 4
3. Save your changes and exit. Relaunch the game and check if the voice chat is working.
If you are still facing issues with your Fortnite voice chat, you must download and install the game again. Let us know in the comments below if you have any questions and suggestions. Thanks for reading!