Fortnite lag issues are causing problems for players throughout the world; then, we understand your problem. If you are one of those going through these lags, here is the perfect guide for you. In this article, you will get to know more about the fixes to play Fortnite without any trouble.
Why is Fortnite Lagging on PC?
Everyone is asking, why is Fortnite so laggy? Well, there is no specific answer to it. There are a lot of reasons that can cause Fortnite to lag, for instance, FPS drops or internet lags being the main culprits. Apart from it, inappropriate game settings can also cause lags.
No matter the reason behind these problems, you can surely get rid of the Fortnite lag issues by following easy fixes.
How to Fix Fortnite Lag on PC
Don’t worry if you are facing any continuous lags while playing Fortnite. We have summed up a list of fixes that can help you get rid of these lags within no time. Sometimes you might have to try multiple fixes as you never know where the problem lies. Try the fixes below!
- Ensure to meet the minimum hardware requirement
- Install the latest game patch
- Update your graphics card driver
- Adjust your graphics settings
- Disable Full-screen Optimization
- Change the power option
- Launch Commands to Fix Fortnite Lag Spikes
- Change Matchmaking Region
Fix #01 – Ensure to meet the minimum hardware requirement
Every game has a set of minimum requirements to run it peacefully on PC. Please don’t consider it your PC’s fault, but keep a sound knowledge of your system specifications before playing a game on it. Here is a list of the minimum system requirements to run Fortnite without any lags:
- CPU: Core i3 2.4GHz
- RAM: 4GB RAM
- HDD: 16GB Free Space
- GPU: Intel HD 4000 (integrated graphics)
- OS: Windows 7, 8, or Windows 10 64-bit
- DirectX: Version 11 or better
Make sure you PC meets the above system requirements to run the game without any lagging issues. In many cases, Fortnite will lag even if the PC has all these specs. It may be due to other issues so try other fixes below.
Fix #02 – Install the Latest Game Patch
Epic Games makes sure that users do not face any trouble while playing their games, which is why they keep on releasing new game updates to fix bugs or improve game performance. If you are facing lags, then you must check if there is any new game update and install it. Keep checking Steam or the game’s official website for any updates.
Fix #03 – Update your Graphics Card Driver
Fortnite can lag if you have an old or missing graphics card driver in your PC. To deal with these lags, you have to make sure that your graphics driver is up-to-date. If not, it can cause internet lag issues or Fortnite FPS lag. You can either update it manually or automatically.
To manually update the graphics driver, check the driver in your PC, and download its latest version from your manufacturer’s website. Install it and check if the lag exists.
Fix #04 – Adjust your Graphics Settings
Playing Fortnite with improper game settings can also cause internet and FPS lags. If you are playing the game on high graphics settings, then your PC hardware won’t be able to comply with it. You must set the graphics settings to lower so that your PC doesn’t have to work extra efforts to keep the game running.
To adjust the graphics settings, go to Fortnite settings and click Video. Now adjust these:
- Display Resolution – Set resolution same as your display
- Quality – Set low or medium
- View Distance – Set to medium or far
- Shadows – Off
- Anti-Aliasing – Off
- Textures – Set to low
- Effects – Set to low
- Show FPS – On
Fix #05 – Disable Fullscreen Optimization
Often playing the game on full-screen can cause lags. Try to disable full-screen optimization, and see if the lag vanishes or not. It is a simple fix that can cause continuous lags so do try these options as well. Check fix #07 to know the procedure of disabling fullscreen optimization.
Fix #06 – Change the Power Plan of your PC
Fortnite may lag due to power options. Try this quick fix by changing your power plan:
- Go to Windows Start menu’s Search field and type “control” then select Control Panel as it shows up as a search result.
- Click Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
- Expand Hide additional plans and select High performance.
- Next, type “advanced” in the search box in the upper-right corner, then click View advanced system settings.
- In the pop-up window, click Settings… in the Performance section.
- Select Adjust for best performance and click OK.
Launch the game and see if the lag still exists or not. If not, then congratulations, but if yes, later try the below-mentioned fixes.
Fix #07 – Launch Commands to Fix Fortnite Lag Spikes
As mentioned, you may be facing problems due to FPS lag. Follow these steps to solve this problem:
- Download the FPS pack from Panjno. This will provide you with the file that contains all the necessary files to help you increase the FPS.
- Once you have downloaded it, copy all the items in the Game Files folder.
- Open the Windows search bar and type %localappdata%. Then go to FortniteGame/Saved/Config/WindowsClient and paste all the files you copied from the Games Files folder.
- Now in your Fortnite game folder, search for FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe, then right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and check to Override high DPI scaling behavior and disable Fullscreen Optimizations.
After following these steps, open Epic Games Launcher, click Settings and check Additional Command Line Arguments. Paste the content from Launch Options.txt file that is present in the file you downloaded above. This should help you solve your Fortnite lag issue.
Fix #08 – Change Matchmaking Regions
The Fortnite lag might be due to poor network connection, so try changing the matchmaking region.
Go to Fortnite, click on Settings, navigate to Advance Settings, and search Matchmaking Region. Choose the closest region, which will help you get the lowest ping and reduce lag in Fortnite.
Hopefully, this guide will help you get rid of the Fortnite lag in no time, so you can enjoy your game without any delays.