Japanese mobile carrier SoftBank is set to launch a pair of Star Wars smartphones early next month. Made by Sharp, the phones will come in both Dark and Light Side editions allowing you to choose your Force allegiance.
Around this time last year, Verizon showed its excitement for the long awaited arrival of The Force Awakens by unveiling limited edition Star Wars-themed Motorola Droid Turbo 2. While there is no word on the follow up promotion from Verizon yet, Sharp is bringing Star Wars smartphones to SoftBank customers in Japan.
The launch of SoftBank mobile phones will mark the incoming release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. There will be various exciting Star Wars things for avid fans of the franchise. These include (via The Verge):
- Live wallpapers that make the phone look like an X-Wing or TIE fighter cockpit
- Excessive Android 6.0 skin in both light and dark side themes
- Five exclusive metal figurines taken from Rogue One
- A Star Wars Movie Player app that lets you watch The Force Awakens until the year 2020
- Pre-loaded Star Wars: Force Collection card game with a code for a gold card pack ticket
- Star Wars-themed alarm clock app
- Star Wars emoji
- Star Wars ringtones
In terms of specs, the Star Wars smartphones sport a 5.3-inch 1080p IGZO display. Powering the devices is Snapdragon 820 processor coupled with 3GB of RAM. They also feature 22.6MP rear camera, 32GB of in-built storage with microSD card slot option, and 3,000mAh battery. Both handsets measure 7.6mm thick and weigh 155g.
The Sharp-produced Star Wars smartphones will launch on December 2nd in Japan, but they are up for preorders starting today.